RESTORATION AND CONSOLIDATION OF ARCHITECTURE
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The course starts from the inspection of historical buildings and aims at presenting the students with a wide and critical analysis pf methods and techniques for the knowledge of the architectural historical heritage, giving the instruments for their strengthening, restoration and conservation, in a close relation with the present cultural debate in this field.
Course contents summary
1. BASIC CONCEPTS: restoration, conservation, strengthening
2. THE NORMATIVE SYSTEM: Heritage Conservation Act, Guidelines for heritage preservation from seismic risks, Technical laws for existing buildings
3. THE KNOWLEDGE PATH: Historical measuring units, proportions and original geometry, historical inspections (archives documents, building manuals, historical "reading" of the building); the survey of geometry, architecture, structure, materials, disorders, decay phenomena, crack pattern; experimental tests, structural monitoring.
4. SOME CONCEPTS OF BUILDING SCIENCE AND TECHNIQUE: Equilibrium, graphic statics, stress-strain relations, strength, pluri-axial tensional states, no-tension materials; hyper-static structures, acceptable stresses analysis and limit states analysis; structural behaviour of masonry buildings, ultimate state assessment on empirical basis; art and science of building.
5. TIMBER STRUCTURAL ELEMENTS: Materials characteristics, timber floors and roofs.
6. MASONRY STRUCTURAL ELEMENTS: Materials characteristics, mechanical behaviour, pillars and columns, walls.
7. ARCHES AND FLAT ARCHES: building typologies, static behaviour, collapse mechanisms, graphical methods for the limit state analysis, finite element analysis, strengthening techniques.
8. VAULTS AND DOMES: building typologies, static behaviour, disorders and crack pattern, collapse mechanisms, strengthening techniques.
9. METAL STRUCTURAL ELEMENTS: tie rods (typologies, strength and deformation assessment, thermal variations), metal beams and lintels.
10. SEISMIC STRENGTHENING: Laws for the protection of historical buildings in seismic areas, elements of dynamics, seismic behaviour, criteria and techniques for strengthening.
11. BUILDING'S HVAC SYSTEM: Laws, compatibility problems and solutions in restoration, energy efficient buildings.
- Rodolfo Antonucci, Restauro e recupero degli edifici a struttura in muratura. Analisi e interventi sul costruito storico, Maggioli Editore, 2009
- O. Belluzzi, Scienza delle costruzioni, Vol. I Zanichelli Ed. 1985.
- S. Mastrodicasa, Dissesti statici delle strutture edilizie, Hoepli, Milano 1989
- A. Giuffrè, Letture sulla meccanica delle murature storiche, Roma, 1988.
- E. Benvenuto, La scienza delle costruzioni e il suo sviluppo storico, Sansoni, Firenze 1991.
- A. Del Bufalo “Conservazione edilizia e tecnologia del restauro” Edizioni Kappa.
- AA.VV, Manuale del Restauro Architettonico, Mancosu editore, Roma 2001.
- AA.VV. Manuale per la riabilitazione e ricostruzione postsismica degli edifici, DEI,Roma 1999.
- G. Tampone, M. Mannucci, N. Macchioni, Strutture di legno: Cultura, conservazione, restauro, Edizioni De Lettera, Milano 2002.
Traditional lectures (taught class) + group reviews on a restoration and conservation project of a historical building (chosen by the students).
Assessment methods and criteria
Oral exam on theory and discussion of the project.