STRUCTURE PROJECT (UNIT 2)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The course explains the most important problems concerning steel structures by using both a design approach and a rigorous formulation of the problems, in order to show the dimensioning criteria. Particular attention will be given to the new norms of the Eurocodes.
Course contents summary
1. Structural Systems: Kinematics, stability, space behaviour. Comparisons with the behaviour of the reinforced concrete structures. Multi-storey and single-storey buildings. Calculation models.
2. Reliability of Steel Structures: Critical considerations concerning the allowable stress method. The semi-probabilistic method.
3. Loads: Permanent, imposed and climatic loads.
4. The Material: Structural steels. Shapes. Structural and geometrical imperfections. Quality and laboratory controls. Resistance criteria. Verification methods.
5. Welds: Technology of welds. Strength of welded joints. Calculation methods.
6. Bolts: Technology of bolts. Strength of bolted joints. Calculation methods.
7. Connections: Joint ductility. Lamellar tearing. Articulated joints. Joints in tension, in compression, in bending. Beam-column joints. Column-foundation joints. Section-composition joints.
8. Strength of structural elements: Serviceability limit state. Conventional elastic limit state. Plastic limit state.
9. Stability of structural elements: Centrally compressed members: influence of imperfections, recommended curves. Bent members. Beam columns: plate buckling, Flexural-torsional buckling. Local buckling: elements in compression, web crippling. Frame members. Stiffened plane plates.
G. Ballio, F. M. Mazzolani, “Strutture in acciaio”, Hoepli Editore, Milano, 1987.
G. Ballio, C. Bernuzzi, “Progettare costruzioni in acciaio”, Hoepli Editore, Milano, 2004.
D.M. LL.PP. 14/01/2008: “Norme Tecniche per le costruzioni”
UNI EN 1993-1-1:2005: “Eurocodice 3, Progettazione delle strutture di acciaio - Parte 1-1: regole generali e regole per gli edifici”.
Both theoretical and pratical lessons will be given. Practical applications will be focused on the design of an industrial building constituted by steel structural elements.
Assessment methods and criteria
The examination is based on a comprehensive oral evaluation of the candidate over the contents of the course and on a discussion about the performed design.