HISTORY OF THE THEATER AND PERFORMING ARTS
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The course aims to provide a useful methodology for the study both of puppet theatre and more generally the main mechanisms of theatrical communication. At the end of the course, the knowledge of the contents, students' ability in learning and applying his/her knowledge will be tested.
Course contents summary
History of puppet theatre. Historical theories of puppetry. Theory and technique of glove puppets, puppets, shadows theatre, and objects theatre (with laboratories and seminars).
1) Definition of puppet theatre
2) Puppetry in history: the Ancient period and the Middle Age
3) Puppetry in modern culture
4) Puppetry in contemporary culture
5) Puppetry in non-European culture
6) Theory and techniques of glove puppets
7) Theory and techniques of puppets
8) Theory and techniques of shadows theatre
9) Theory and techniques of the theatre of "pupi"
10) Theory and techniques of objects theatre
11) Seminars and specific laboratories with professionals.
L. Allegri, M. Bambozzi (a cura di), "Il mondo delle figure", Roma, Carocci;
L. Allegri, "L'artificio e l'emozione", Roma-Bari, Laterza;
L. Allegri, "Prima lezione sul teatro", Roma-Bari Laterza.
Frontal lectures, seminars and laboratories.
Assessment methods and criteria