LANGUAGE AND TRANSLATION - RUSSIAN III
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The aim of the course is the acquisition of a solid linguistic competence of the spoken and written Russian at intermediate/advanced level.
At the end of the course the student
- will develop a solid knowledge and understanding skills in Russian language
- will be able to communicate and apply acquired knowledge in an autonomous and independent way in the context of everyday communication and handle complex and professionally qualified tasks.
Course contents summary
- Use of syntactic constructions useful for translation from Russian to Italian.
- Structural and lexical analysis of texts on actuality, culture and politics.
- Use of dictionaries.
- Introduction to translation from Italian into Russian.
- Grammar with oral and written exercises.
- Introduction to written and oral communication.
1. Names and geographical names declension;
1.1 Russians names, surnames and patronymics, foreign names.
1.2 Geographical indications.
1.3 Scientific transliteration of names and surnames.
2.1 Declension of cardinal and ordinal numbers.
2.2 Use of the collectives.
2.3 Numerals "2,3,4" with adjectives.
2.4 Use of "год-лет" with numerals.
3. Expressions of time
3.1 dates (days, months, years).
3.2 abstract time expressions: век, эпоха.
3.3 use of the prepositions "на", "за", "через-после", "перед-до", "к".
3.4 iterative actions.
3.5 use of prepositions ПО С-С-ДО to indicate time limits.
4. The verb
4.1 Reflexive verbs.
4.2 Impersonal verbs.
4.3 Aspects of the verb:
- Aspects of the future tense with the denial;
- Aspects with modal verbs;
- Aspects with infinitive;
5.1 Use of active and passive participles. Truncated form of passive participles in predicate function.
5.2 Use of participles and participial construction.
5.3 Consonant alternation in participles.
5.4 Transformation of the subordinate clause with "который" in a participial construct.
6. Verbs of motion
6.1 Verbs of motion without prefixes in the past.
6.2 Use of verbs of motion with prefixes в-/вы-, при-,-у,-от and others.
6.3 Other cases of use of verbs of motion with prefixes.
8. Pronouns identification "такой же," "тот же самый"
1. Use of БЫ in complex constructions.
2. Use of ЧТО-ЧТОБЫ in complex sentences.
3. Anteriority, posteriority, contemporary.
4. Causal clauses.
5. Concessive clauses.
6. Subordinated with будто.
7. Use of composed pronouns: то, что / тот, кто.
Lectures and practical exercises. The course also includes a cycle of 9 hours of self-study in the language lab based on materials selected by the teachers of Russian.
Assessment methods and criteria
The test consists of an assessment by way of written and oral final exams. The final tests are divided into:
- Translation from Italian into Russian, aimed at verifying the grammar;
− Translation from Russian to verify the comprehension and the ability to produce an equivalent text in good Italian;
Dictionaries are allowed.
For the oral exam, the student must be able to read, translate and summarize what has been read in class during the year and the texts read at home. He must be able to hold a conversation on the topics covered in class. For the listening the teacher can also use audio recordings of authentic dialogues and monologues. In addition, the student will be able to read and translate at first sight an authentic Russian text.