Learning outcomes of the course unit
Provide knowledge about the nature of toxic effect of xenobiotics.
Course contents summary
toxic action of xenobiotics and the main regulatory aspects;
· General principles of toxicology.
· Mechanisms of toxicity. Toxicity test.
· Absorption, distribution and excretion of toxic substances.
· Biotransformation of xenobiotics.
· Carcinogenesis, teratogenesis, mutagenesis.
· Experimental toxicology and toxicological risk assessment.
· Idiosyncratic reactions and allergic diseases, interactions between xenobiotics.
· Toxicology of pesticides, metals, solvents, pesticides, PAHs, PCOD, PCB, plant and animal toxins.
· Environmental Toxicology: air pollution, water and soil.
· Toxicology food and nutrition: Food Additives and Contaminants. Regulatory bodies.
· Occupational Toxicology
· Toxicology of biotechnology products.
· Toxicology of principal organs.
-ERNEST HODGSON: “Tossicologia Moderna”, EdiSES
-CASARETT & DOULL’S: "Tossicologia: fondamenti dell’azione delle sostanze tossiche", Ed. EMSI,
-W.A. HAYES: "Principles and Methods of Toxicology", III Edition, Raven Press.
-C.L. GALLI, E. CORSINI, M. MARINOVICH “Tossicologia”, Piccin
Assessment methods and criteria