HYGIENIC CONTROL TECHNOLOGY AND HEALTH FOOD (MOD. 2)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The major goals of the teaching course are the following:
1) basic knowledge of dairy milk, cheese, butter and cream technology;
2) basic knowledge of smoked salmon and trout technology;
3) good knowledge of bacterial and viral foodborne diseases;
4) basic knowledge of microbiologial examinations of food samples;
5) good knowledge of microbiological criteria following EC Regulations.
The exam "Microbiology and Immunology. Veterinary Epidemiology" is preliminary.
Course contents summary
1) New and traditional technologies applied to drinking milk (pasteurized, microfiltrated and pasteurized milk, UHT and sterilized milk) and to products thereof (hard and soft cheeses, butter, cream and ricotta cheese).
2) Smoked salmon and trout technology.
3) Microrganism indicators of Good Hygienic Practices (GHP) in food factories (total bacterial count, Enterobacteriaceae and Escherichia coli counts)
4) Bacterial and viral foodborne diseases, as campylobacteriosis, listeriosis, brucellosis, yersiniosis, foodborne diseases by verocytotoxin-producing Escherichia coli (VTEC) and by Cronobacter sakazakii, intoxication by Staphylococcus aureus, infection by Norovirus, hepatitis A and E, poliomielitis.
5) Human intoxication by hystamine in fishery products and tyramine in cheeses. Intoxication by algal biotoxins.
6) Microbiological criteria in food products by EC Regulations 2073/2005, 1441/2007 and 365/2010.
1) Salvadori Del Prato. Tecnologie del latte. Edagricole, Bologna. 2005.
2) Salvadori Del Prato. Trattato di tecnologia casearia. Calderini Edagricole, Bologna. 2001.
3) Arcangeli, Baldrati, Pirazzoli. La trasformazione dei prodotti della pesca: tecnologia, controllo ed igiene della lavorazione. Ed. Stazione Sperimentale per l'Industria delle Conserve, Parma. 2003.
4) Rondanelli, Fabbi, Marone. Trattato sulle infezioni e tossinfezioni alimentari. Selecta Medica, Milano. 2005.
5) Fratamico, Bhunia, Smith. Foodborne pathogens. Microbiology and Molecular Biology. Caister Academic Press, Norfolk, UK. 2005.
Oral lessons and practical activity in the Laboratory of Food Microbiology.
Assessment methods and criteria
Written and oral examination.