LABORATORY FOR INORGANIC CHEMISTRY
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Principles of preparation of coordination compounds. Laboratory training. Spectroscopic techniques.
Course contents summary
1) Synthesis of cis/trans-bis(glycinate)copper(II). Characterization by means of IR spectroscopy.
2) Synthesis of a NN donor ligand by a means of phase transfer catalysis. Synthesis of a Zn(II) complex. Characterization by means of NMR spectroscopy.
3) Synthesis of [Al(acetylacetonate)3] e [VO(acetylacetonate)2]. Characterization by means of NMR spectroscopy.
4) Preparation of d-tris(ethylenediamine) cobalt(III) triiodide by means of a partial asymmetric sysnthesis.
Description of the spectroscopic techniques (NMR, IR, UV-Vis).
1) Inorganic Chemistry (Shriver, Atkins)
2) Advanced Inorganic Chemistry
3) Chemistry of the Elements
4) Physical Methods in Advanced inorganic Chemistry (Hill, Day)
5) Infrared and Raman Spectra of Inorganic and Coordination Compounds (Nakamoto)
6) Spectrometric identification of organic compounds (Silverstein, Webster)
Theoretical lessons and training in a synthetic laboratory.
Assessment methods and criteria
Written and oral examination.