NUTRITION AND DIET
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Students are expected to acquire knowledge in order to be able to make chemical and biological evaluations of animal feedstuffs. They are also required to master the organisational and management aspects of feed mills and acquire the techniques for correct diet formulation. Students are expected to understand the factors that condition the digestibility and use of foods and to be familiar with the various additives and feed integrators according to necessity and use criteria. They are also expected to acquire concepts regarding the food ration and the nutritional requirements for the various domestic species in relation to the various productive and reproductive times. An in-depth study must be made of the legislation governing the preparation and selling of all substances of nutritional interest for domestic animals.
Course contents summary
Chemical and biological evaluation of animal feedstuffs. Digestibility and use of foods. Additives and feed integrators according to necessity and use criteria. Concepts regarding the food ration and the nutritional requirements for the various domestic species in relation to the various productive and reproductive times. Industrial production of foods for animals. Legislation governing the preparation and selling of simple, complete and complementary feedstuffs as well as all those substances of nutritional interest for domestic animals.
ASSALZOO: La disciplina della preparazione e del commercio del mangime, III Ed., S.E.P.Z., Roma, 1978.
- BLAXTER K. L.: The energy metabolism of ruminants, Hutchinson, London, 1962.
- I.N.R.A.: Alimentation des ruminants, Edizioni I.N.R.A., Versailles, 1978.
- NATIONAL RESEARCH COUNCIL (NRC): Nutrient requirement of domestic animals: n. 1 Poultry (1994), n. 2 Pigs (1998), n. 3 Dairy CattIe (2001), n. 4 Beef Cattle (2000), n. 3 Sheep (1968), n. 6 Horses (1966), n. 9 Rabbits (1966), Nat. ! Acad. Sci., Washington. D.C.
- SUCCI G.: 'ZOOTECNICA SPECIALE' Ed. Cittastudi Edizioni 1995.
- AGHINA C. e MALETTO S.'Tecnica Mangimistica' Soc. Ed. Esculapio
- CASE L.P., CAREY D.P., HIRAKAWA D.A.: 'L'alimentazione del cane e del gatto'. Mosby-Year Book, Inc. (1997) Edizione riservata IAMS.
- WOLTER R.: 'L'alimentazione del cane e del gatto'. Editrice Essegivi - Piacenza (1983)
- FERRANDO R.: 'Alimentation du chien'. Edition Vigot Freres. Paris (1973).
The theoretical part of the course is taught in the classroom while the practical part takes places on breeding farms and on the premises of animal feed industries