Learning outcomes of the course unit
Knowledge of occupational hypoacusia in industrial environments; overview of legislation and methods of prevention and diagnosis; aspects of Public law.
Course contents summary
- Sound and industrial noise: physical characteristics, classification and evaluation criteria; the auditory sensation
- Noise measurement: instruments; equivalent continuous sound level (Leq)
- ! Auditory effects of noise: temporary and permanent standard threshold shift (STS); hypoacusis secondary to chronic acoustic trauma or to noise; hypoacusis secondary to acoustic trauma
- Clinical characteristics of noise-induced hypoacusis; factors promoting noise-induced auditory damage
- Diagnosis of noise-induced hypoacusis and differential diagnosis of neurosensorial hypoacusia; audiometric characteristics; adaptation and recruitment phenomena; possible secondary tests (impedance autometry and Brainstem auditory evoked potentials) in noise-induced hypoacusis
- Testing the hearing of workers exposed to noise: audiometry in the workplace; compliance with attachment VII of Italian Legislative Decree 277/91!
- Classification of hearing deficit according to the criteria of Occupational Medicine
- Presbycusis e sociacusis
- Primary prevention (technical and environmental): personal hearing protection equipment (ear defenders), characteristics and sound attenuation capacity
- Risk estimate: ISO 1999 standard, EEC Directive 1986, Italian Legislative Decree 277/91; personal exposure level (Lep)
Recommended text: F. Merluzzi. Rumore in ambiente di lavoro. Franco Angeli Ed.
Classroom lectures with the use of audiovisual aids and open discussions with the students
Oral exam on the basis of the exam schedule