INFIAMMAZIONE E IMMUNITA'
The students will acquire the knowledge on the main mechanisms and molecules of cell-to-cell communication and on the main molecular pathways of inflammation; the students have also to learn the molecular mechanisms driving the innate and adaptive immune response against viruses and bacteria.
Molecular regulation of inflammation and innate and adaptive immunity against viruses and bacteria.
The inflammatory process:
Molecular regulation of cell-to-cell communication and cell activation during inflammatory phases:
- Proinflammatory and anti-inflammartory cytokines;
- Adhesion molecole;
Cytokines and chronicization of inflammation.
Molecular mechanisms of Acute Phase Reactions.
Immunity and infection: molecular regulation of innate and adaptive immune response against viruses and bacteria.
-Pathogen recognition and activation of innnate and specific immune responses (cell cooperation between macrophages, Natural killer, Dendritic cells, Thelper Lymphocytes, Effector lymphocytes)
-Cytokines of the regulation of immunity;
-Basics of Mucosal immnuity: molecular regulation.
-Infection, immunity and Neduroendocrine response:
d)Relationship between immune and neuroendocrine organs: molecular signals of communication;
e)Neuro-endocrine hormones and immune response;
f)Negative effects of persistent infection
Preparatory books for examination:
1) Abbas - Immunologia cellulare e molecolare – Piccin Padova.
2) G.B. Pier, J.B. Lyczak, L.M. Wetzler. Immunologia, infezione, immunità (2006). Piccin, Padova.
3) Murphy – Travers – Walpor. Janeway’s Immunobiologia 7ed. Piccin Padova
4) Teaching material available on-line:
- lectures diapos and review on specific topics (pdf)
- laboratory protocols.
Classroom lectures (16 hours)and laboratory activity (8 hours)