BIOMATERIALS AND BIOPROSTHESIS UNIT B
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Aim of the course is to provide to the students the main understandings about the characteristics of subsitutes and implantes in ocular surgery
Course contents summary
Dott. Claudio Macaluso (MED/30: 1 CFU: 8 ore)
• Intraocular lenses (IOLs): optical, biological and surgical requirements in designing substitutes of the natural crystalline lens.
• Corneal implants and artificial cornea.
• Setons and other implants for the therapy of glaucoma.
• Sub- and pre-retinal prosthesis: optoelectronics to restore visual transduction and reverse blindness.
• Vitreal substitutes.
• “External” prostheses: contact lenses and cosmetic shells.
Teaching material and scientific reviews provided at lesson
Classrooom lectures (8 hours)
Assessment methods and criteria