PSYCHIATRY AND CLINICAL PSYCHOLOGY
LEARNING OUTCOMES OF THE COURSE UNIT
The course is aimed to make the students able:
- to recognize people with mental disorders;
- to develop skills for an appropriate differential diagnosis;
- to make an adequate project of care;
- to refer to specialist assessment and treatment.
COURSE CONTENTS SUMMARY
The first part of the classes will address the fundamental principles of psychopathology such as alterations of consciousness, attention, memory, perception, thought, instinct, affect, volition.
The second part of the classes will address the principal mental disorders such as substance abuse disorders, schizophrenia and other psychotic disorders, mood disorders, anxiety disorders and personality disorders.
The third part of the classes will address the fundamental principles of treatment of mental disorders (pharmacotherapy and psychotherapy).
The four part of the classes will address to the italian legislation about mental health and to the presentation of the services of the department of mental health, including the services for substance dependence and for infant and adolescent psychiatry.
PSICOPATOLOGIA E CLINICA PSICHIATRICA- CASSANO-TUNDO - UTET 2006
P. SARTESCHI, C. MAGGINI. MANUALE DI PSICHIATRIA Ed.SBM Noceto (PR). Suggested topics: General Psychopathology: pag. 109-177, 193-215; Alchool dependence: pag. 398-432; Schizophrenia: pag 491-501; 534-572; Mood Disoreders: pag. 611-614; 630-692.
Slides and issue concerning classes:
- Schizophrenia: clinical treatment
- Mood Disorders: clinical and treatment;
- Anxiety Disorders: clinical and treatment;
- Personality Disorders: clinical and treatment;
- Personality Disorders: clinical and treatment.
ASSESSMENT METHODS AND CRITERIA
n progress evaluation isn't scheduled.
The final examination evaluates the student's knowledge, acquired during the study, about the ability:
- to recognize mental disorders;
- to make a differential diagnosis;
- to plan an adequate program of care;
- to refer the patient to specialistic evaluation and treatment.
The final examination consists in a multiple choice test with 60 questions, concerning the program of the course. The time available is 90 min. The exam has a positive result if the student gives the correct answers to at least 36 questions. The final result depends on the number of the correct answers above the cut-off. If the student wants to improve the grade obtained in the written test, an oral examination is available.
Lessons and attendance of the services (out-patients facilities, Day-Hospital, in-patient ward) of the Psychiatric Clinic.