PRODUCT DESIGN AND INNOVATION MANAGEMENT (UNIT 2)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Modern manufacturing companies have to develop new products or improve existing ones, at a competitive cost and in a compressed time frame in order to sustain global competition. In this context, the course aims at presenting moden methodologies that can be used by manufacturing companies for this purpose.
Course contents summary
Concepts, tools and methodologies for new product design and development.
1. Introduction to the process of product design and development;
2. Development processes;
3. Product planning;
4. Customer needs identification;
5. Product specifications;
6. Quality Function Deployment (QFD) e House of Quality (HoQ) in product design and development;
7. Conceptual design: generation and selection of conceptsi;
8. Concept validation;
9. Product architecture;
10. Industrial design role;
11. Design for assembly;
- Ulrich K.T., Eppinger S.D., Product Design and development, McGraw-Hill, 4° Ed., 2008.
Class lectures. Team activities will be developed during the course about a product development issues.
Assessment methods and criteria
Written examination (oral not mandatory).