Aim of the course is to provide a panoramic view of the various aspect of the environmental mutagenesis and in particular of the environmental genotoxic risk at which human and animals are subjected. The course provides a detailed overview of methodologies for monitoring human populations and the environment itself (e.g., air, water, soil).
Course contents summary
Molecular basis of DNA alterations
• spontaneous alterations of and damages to DNA
• chemical and physical mutagens
Molecular mechanisms involved in the control of genome integrity
• metabolism of xenobiotics
• DNA repair in prokaryotic and eukariotic organisms
Mutations in somatic and germ cells
Sources of genotoxic pollutants
• natural and manmade mutagens and cancerogens in: environmental samples (air, soil, water, etc.)
• biomarkers and bioindicators
• methods and testing strategies: in vitro and in vivo mutagenicity tests.
Mutagenesi ambientale a cura di Lucia Migliore Ed. Zanichelli, ISBN 8808-07719-5.
Tossicologia a cura di Greim H. e Deml E., Ed. Zanichelli, ISBN 8808-09979-2.