LABORATORY DIAGNOSIS OF INFECTIOUS DISEASES
Learning outcomes of the course unit
1) to provide the basic knowledge of the principles and methods for the laboratory diagnosis of infectious diseases referring to the main molecular methodologies and technologies related to infections by microrganisms and viruses of medical interest;
2) to deepen the knowledge on the biotechnological applications for the study and the molecular characterization of infectious agents.
Passed the examination of:
- Molecular bases of infectious diseases
Course contents summary
- Principles and methods for the laboratory diagnosis of infectious diseases
• Detection of the pathogenic agent or its components
• Detection of specific host immune-response
• General principles of specimen collection, transport and storage.
- Biotechnologies in the microbiological and virological diagnosis and for the study and molecular characterization of microrganisms and viruses of medical interest.
Main applications of biotechnological methods as part of the laboratory procedures concerning the infections due to: Spirochetes (Treponema, Borrelia), Gram-negative bacteria (Enterobacteriaceae, Legionella), Gram-negative cocci (Neisseria), Gram-positive cocci (staphylococci, streptococci, enterococci), Gram-positive rods (Listeria monocytogenes), Mycobacteria and Chlamydiae.
Main applications of biotechnological methods as part of the laboratory procedures concerning the infections due to: yeasts and moulds.
Main applications of biotechnological methods as part of the laboratory procedures concerning the infections due to: Toxoplasma gondii, plasmodia, and amebae of medical interest.
- Main applications of biotechnological methods as part of the laboratory procedures concerning the major viral genitourinary, respiratory, enteric and liver infections, viral infections of the lymphoid and hematopoietic systems, viral infections of the central nervous system, congenital and perinatal viral infections.
- Molecular methods for detecting susceptibility/resistance of pathogenic agents to chemoantibiotics or anti-viral drugs.
Murray P.R., Baron E.J., Jorgensen J.H., Pfaller M.A., Yolken R.H.
“Manual of Clinical Microbiology”
Casa Editrice ASM Press
A.M. Molina Romanzi
“Microbiologia Clinica. Gli aspetti microbiologici delle malattie infettive"
Casa Editrice UTET Periodici
D.O.White, F.J. Fenner
Casa Editrice Academic Press
"Parassitologia generale ed umana"
Casa Editrice Ambrosiana