Learning outcomes of the course unit
- To know the basic terminology of pedagogy and education;
- To know, analyze and critically revise the main concepts of general and social pedagogy;
- To know the principal current developments of contemporary pedagogy;
- To connect authors, current developments and concepts.
Course contents summary
The first part of the course presents the foremost pedagogic theories from the early and, especially, the late twentieth century, looking particularly to highlight, through heated debate, those particularly important theories. By these means the course will analyze some structural categories of general pedagogy, such as the concept of educational relationship, pedagogical teleology, of person and the link between theory/practice so as to come to an, albeit partial, definition of pedagogy.
The second part presents the metatheoretical path of Sergio De Giacinto (1921-1989), in the area of the epistemological reflections on education: in this way, moving from the concept of scientifical pedagogy, we'll arrive to the idea of a pedagogy as literature or as a form of culture.
- C. SCURATI, Profili nell'educazione. Ideali e modelli pedagogici nel pensiero contemporaneo, Milano, Vita e Pensiero, 1991 e seguenti [pp. 3-84 and the chapters about: Neill, Makarenko, Freire, Illich, Huxley, Rogers, Bruner, Skinner, Maritain, Mounier].
- S. TRAMMA, Pedagogia sociale, Milano, Guerini, 2010 (new edition).
- D. FELINI – B. WEYLAND, Media education tra organizzazione e fantasia, Trento, Erickson, 2007 [except chapters 9 and 10].
- S. DE GIACINTO, La stanza delle grammatiche. Fisionomia e caratteri della scienza pedagogica, antologia di testi a cura di D. Felini, Parma, Edizioni Santa Croce, 2010.
- D. FELINI, La città dei nomi comuni. L'epistemologia pedagogica di Sergio De Giacinto, Milano, Unicopli, 2010.
- A. BOBBIO – P. CALIDONI (a cura di), Tra pedagogia e didattica, Roma, Armando, 2009 [except chapters 5, 8 and 10].
Oral lesson, group discussion.
Assessment methods and criteria