THEORY OF LOCAL DEVELOPMENT
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The course provides students with the basic intellectual framework to understand and analyze local development. Students are expected to gain knowledge of the mayor theories for explaining local development, to learn methods that are used in the study of a local economy, to understand the importance of the inter-institutional co-operation, and the links between theory and local development practice. Students who master this topics will be able to work in and make contributions to institutions involved in local development issues.
Course contents summary
1) Ways of conceptualizing local development; 2) Mayor theories of local development; 3) Theory in practice: local development in developed and less developed countries.
1. Sforzi, F. 2005, Dal distretto industriale allo sviluppo locale, testo della lezione inaugurale tenuta ad Artimino 2005, Incontri pratesi sullo sviluppo locale: Dal distretto industriale allo sviluppo locale, organizzati dall’IRIS, 12-16 September.
2. The World Bank 2003, Local Economic Development. LED Quick Reference, Urban Development Unit. The World Bank, Washington DC.
3. Garofoli, G. 2002, Local development in Europe. Theoretical models and international comparisons, “European Urban and Regional Studies”, vol. 9, n. 3, pp. 225-239.
4. Trigilia, C. 2005, a cura di, Sviluppo locale, lavoro e qualità sociale, sintesi dei lavori del Gruppo, Fondazione Di Vittorio, Sezione di Scienze Sociali, 4 November 2005. <http://www.fondazionedivittorio.it/up/docs/sintesi.pdf>.