Learning outcomes of the course unit
To acquire concepts regarding the nutritional value and chemical composition of feeds
know the characteristics of the food used in animal feed
Course contents summary
Feeds. Hay, silage, grains, protein supplements, by-product feeds
Nutritive feed evaluation
a) -Forages: hay, silage
- Concentrates: cereals and byproducts, fats and oils, roots by-products, protein supplements
Naturals and contaminant toxicants in feedstuffs
b) CHEMICAL COMPOSITION AND NUTRITION VALUE OF FEED FOR RUMINANT AND MONOGASTRIC ANIMALS .
- Factors affecting digestibility: feed composition, rate of passage, feed processing, feed intake.
- Utilization of energy of feedstuffs: DE, ME, NE.
- Prediction of energy value of feeds and compounded diets for monogastric and ruminant animals
- Cevolani D. (2004) -Prontuario degli alimenti per il suino. Edagricole, Bologna.
- Piccioni M. (1989) - Dizionario degli alimenti per il bestiame. Edagricole, Bologna
- McDonald P., Edwards R.A., Greenhlgh J.F.D. (1992) - Nutrizione animale. Ed. Tecniche Nuove, Milano
Lectures and Laboratory (concentrates, hay, silage and haylage)
lectures and laboratory
Assessment methods and criteria