Learning outcomes of the course unit
The acquisition of the methodological, literary and linguistic skills necessary for the reading in original language and the interpretation of Latin authors.
Verification of the absence of any formative weaknesses through a preliminary written test consisting of a translation from Latin of a text by an author from the classical age.
Course contents summary
Course title: Il pensiero (forte) della poesia
Module A: Readings from Lucretius, Horace, Virgil, Seneca, Dante and Leopardi.
Module B: In-depth examination at the level of metre, style and content of significant poetic texts.
1. History of Latin literature (any secondary school Classics textbook edition)
2. Bernardi Perini, G., Traina, A. Propedeutica al latino universitario (excluding chapters VI, VIII, IX)
3. Cicero, Pro Archia (any edition with Latin text)
4. Virgil, Aeneis, book I (any edition with Latin text)
5. Seneca, De tranquillitate animi (any edition with Latin text)
6. Critical essay of your choice (to be agreed with the professor)
7. Monographic material: Il pensiero (forte) della poesia (notes and texts provided in class)
The course consists of lessons and exercises, accompanied by a weekly tutorial.
The exam consists of an oral test on different aspects of the syllabus (having passed the preliminary written verification test).