Learning outcomes of the course unit
To bring mechanisms and nature of toxic effects of drugs and xenobiotics to student's knowledge.
It is recommended to pass the Pharmacology exam or at least to achieved a good preparation on this field.
Course contents summary
· First principles of toxicity
· Mechanisms and tests of toxicity
· ADME of toxic substance
· Metabolism of xenobiotics
· Cancerogenesis, teratogenesis and mutagenesis
· Experimental toxicology and evaluation of toxicological risks
· Idiosincrasic and allergic reactions. Interactions between xenobiotics
· Metals, Solvents, Pesticides, IPA, PCOD, PCB
· Enviromental toxicoogy
· Alimentary toxicology
· Occupational toxicology
· Toxicology of biotecnological products
· Toxicology of herbal products
· Poisons and antidotes
· Cardiovascular Sistem
Central Nervous Sistem (CNS)
CASARETT & DOULL’S: "Tossicologia: fondamenti dell’azione delle sostanze tossiche", Ed. EMSI,
GOODMAN & GILMAN’S: "The pharmacological basis of therapeutics"
DOLARA: "Tossicologia generale ed ambientale", Ed. Piccin, Padov
ERNEST HODGSON: “Tossicologia Moderna”, EdiSES
W.A. HAYES: "Principles and Methods of Toxicology", III Edition, Raven Press.
C.L. GALLI, E. CORSINI, M. MARINOVICH “Tossicologia”, Piccin
The oral examination will be about the entire program. Students have to show to have a good comprension of principal parts of each topic.