Learning outcomes of the course unit
Knowledge on the main mechanisms of immune-mediated pathologies in animals will be provided
Propedeutics to: Pathological Anatomy – Internal Medicine – Pathologoicaol Surgery and Radiology – Infectious Diseases – Ostetrics
Propedeutics done: Microbiology and Iiia e Immunologia - Epidemiologia, Fisiologia II - Endocrinologia
Course contents summary
The main mechanisms of immune-mediated diseases: hypersensitivity, autoimmunity and immune depression
Hypersensitivity: etiology, pathogenesis and examples of immune-mediated diseases ( Type I, Type II, Type III and Type IV hypersensitivity).
Autoimmunity : mechanisms of immunologic tolerance, general concepts and pathogenetic mechanisms, mechanisms of immune-mediated damage, examples of autoimmune diseases.
Immunosuppression: hereditary and acquired immunodeficiency
Nutrition and immunity
1 ) Lab activity: tecniques and parameteres to evaluate the efficiency of innate and adaptive immune response.
PREPARATORY BOOKS FOR EXAMINATION:
1) V Kumar, A. Abbas, N. Fausto: “Robbins e Cotran: Le basi patologiche delle malattie. Patologia Generale” (2006), Elsevier Italia, Srl, Milano.
2) McGavin M.D., Zachary J.F. Patologia generale veterinaria. (2008). Elsevier Masson, Milano.
3) G.M. Pontieri, M.A. Russo, L. Frati . Patologia Generale vol. I e II (2005) Piccin, Padova. Piccin, Padova.
1) Tizard I.R. Veterinary Immunology. Saunders (USA).
2) G.B. Pier, J.B. Lyczak, L.M. Wetzler. Immunologia, infezione, immunità (2006). Piccin, Padova.
LESSONS AVAILABLE ON LINE
Classroom lectures and lab activity
Assessment methods and criteria
The student may choice between:
1) Written examination
15 multichoice questions with a open explanations and a brief oral question for
2) Oral examination: 3 questions on theoretical contents
1 question on practicals contents
Oral and written examinations consist in questions on both theoretical and practical contents of the Integrated Course.
A mid-term (“in itinere”) written examination can be performed on the contents of general pathology, oncology and immune-pathology before the end of the lessons and the first official exam’s session.
Then, the students must complete the examination on the contents of physiopathology at the official session within the examination’s session of September.
Self-evaluation tests simulating a written examination will be carried around the end of the course.