Learning outcomes of the course unit
The students have to acquire the in-depth knowledge of physiopathology of main organs and apparatus.
Propedeutics to: Pathological Anatomy – Internal Medicine – Pathologoicaol Surgery and Radiology – Infectious Diseases – Ostetrics
Propedeutics done: Microbiology and Iiia e Immunologia - Epidemiologia, Fisiologia II - Endocrinologia
Course contents summary
Physiopathological aspects of the main organs and apparatus
Physiopathology of infection: damage by virus and bacteria, endotoxic and septic shock, the innate and adaptive immune response to virus and bacteria
Physiopathology of stress: - the stressors agents.
- parameters to evaluate the stress adaptive response and the welfare in field.
Physiopathology of bone and joints:
- Calcium/phosphorus imbalances;
- Metabolic bone diseases (rickets, osteoporosis, osteomalacia, fibrous osteodistrophy Calcium/Phosphorus balance’s disorders.
- Degenerative and dyschondroplastic joint diseases in animals: pathogenetic aspects and practical activity with observation of gross lesions, evaluation of the severity of lesions u and introduction to concepts propedeutics to orthopedic clinic.
Physiopathology of kidney: acute and chronic failure, nephrotic and uremic syndromes
Physiopathology of blood: leukocytosis, leukopenia, anaemia, polycvthemia, hemorrhagic disorders.
Practical activity on the preparation of blood samples and observation of cytologic features of aenemias.
Physiopathology of water and acido-base imbalances: dehydration, acidosis and alkalosis.
Hemodynamic disorders. edema, hyperaemia, haemostasis and thrombosis, embolism, infarction, shock.
Hepatic physiopathology: jaundice, steatosis, liver failure
Lung and cardiac physiopathology the respiratory failure, edema, emphysema, the hearth failure
PREPARATORY BOOKS FOR EXAMINATION:
1) V Kumar, A. Abbas, N. Fausto: “Robbins e Cotran: Le basi patologiche delle malattie. Patologia Generale” (2006), Elsevier Italia, Srl, Milano.
2) McGavin M.D., Zachary J.F. Patologia generale veterinaria. (2008). Elsevier Masson, Milano.
3) G.M. Pontieri, M.A. Russo, L. Frati . Patologia Generale vol. I e II (2005) Piccin, Padova. Piccin, Padova.
4) M.U. Dianzani- I. Dianzani- U. Dianzani Istituzioni di patologia generale IV ed. (2004) UTET, Torino
1) Tizard I.R. Veterinary Immunology. Saunders (USA).
2) Dunlop R.H. Malbert C.H. Veterinary Pathophysiology. (2004) Blackwell Publishing, Ames, USA. 3) Marcato P.S. Patologia Sistematica Veterinaria (2002). Edagricole, Bologna.
4) G.B. Pier, J.B. Lyczak, L.M. Wetzler. Immunologia, infezione, immunità (2006). Piccin, Padova.
LESSONS AVAILABLE ON LINE
Classroom lectures and practicals
Assessment methods and criteria
The student may choice between:
1) Written examination
15 multichoice questions with a open explanations and a brief oral question for
2) Oral examination: 3 questions on theoretical contents
1 question on practicals contents
Oral and written examinations consist in questions on both theoretical and practical contents of the Integrated Course.
A mid-term (“in itinere”) written examination can be performed on the contents of general pathology, oncology and immune-pathology before the end of the lessons and the first official exam’s session.
Then, the students must complete the examination on the contents of physiopathology at the official session within the examination’s session of September.