Surgical semeiotics, operative medicine, anesthesiology and surgery clinic
Learning outcomes of the course unit
To learn to the students the application of a standard procedural method in everyone clinical situation finalized to correctly diagnose the different pathologies and to give the main information about the surgical techniques.
All topics included in didattical regulament of the Faculty
Course contents summary
History, General and particular examination, Surgery lesions of the systems: Integumentary (edema, phlegmon, abscess, bursitis), Muscoloskeletal (metabolic, inflammatory, neoplastic desease), fractures, joints desease, tendons, ligaments and muscular desease), Auditory (injuries, aural hematoma, otitis externa, media and interna), Visiv, Respiratory (nares, larynx, pharynx, trachea, lungs), Cardiovascular and Hemolymphatic, Genital male (prepuce, penis, scrotum, testis, prostate)
Immobilization of surgical patient. Injection. Centesis. Cateterism. Bandage. The surgical room. Principles of asepsis and antisepsis and antibiotic role. Surgical planning. Surgical theatre. Preparation of the surgeon. Dieresis and synthesis of soft tissues. Suture materials, knots and sutures. Osteosynthesis: internal fixation (nail, screws, plates, cerclage), external fixation. Wound treatment. Drains. Reconstructive surgery.
Clinical signs, surgical treatment of the more frequent pathologies in large and small animals.
Cow: abomasal dislocations, hoof diseases.
Horse: locomotor system (tendonitis and desmitis, phalanx and sesamoid bone fractures, navicular disease); breathing apparatus ( ) digestive system ( colics).
Dogs and Cats: hear, noise and troth diseases; articular, digestive, urinary and neoplastic disease.
1. Valentini S.: Introduzione alla Semeiotica Chirurgica – Girali Editore, 2000
2. G. Sumner Smith: Procedimenti decisionali in chirurgia ortopedica veterinaria. Masson editore, 1992
3. Denny R. Hamish: Compendio di Chirurgia ortopedica del cane e del gatto. Traduzione Italiana a cura di Carlucci, Modenato, Citi, Girali Editore, 1998
4. Fossum Theresa Welch: Chirurgia dei Piccoli Animali. Maqsson Editore, 2004
5. Stashak T.S.: la zoppicatura nel cavallo, IV edizione, Lea and Febiger, Philadelphia. Ed. Italiana SBM Noceto (PR), 1990
6. Rose R.J., Hodgson D.R.: Manual of Equine Practice 2/e. edizione Italiana a cura di Delfino Editore, 2005
7. Cheli R.: Clinica Chirurgica Veterinaria, 3 edizione,UTET editore, 1988
Frontal lessons and practical exercitations in which the students are divided in groups.
Evaluation is by a joined oral and written l exam
The language is: italian