Learning outcomes of the course unit
To introduce students to the meaning of risk and risk factors for human health.To know hazards and risks posed by health care activities, with special emphasis on radiation-dependent effects. To know and be skilled in using personal protective equipment. To know the general rules to prevent accidents and occupational illnesses.
Course contents summary
- Risk factors and job tasks: meaning of hazard and risk; classification of occupational risk factors; hazardous and toxic substances at workplace.
- Methods of environmental prevention of occupational risks: identification, evaluation and control; the occupational exposure limits.
- Risk factors in the Health Care System: ionizing and non-ionizing radiations.
- Personal protective equipment.
- Health surveillance and biological monitoring for Health Care professionals; preventive and periodical medical examinations for workers occupationally exposed to radiations.
lecture notes of the course