CUTANEOUS AND VENEREAL DISEASES
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Know how to identify and classify the main diseases of the skin and of the mucosa. Special attention will be given to contagious diseases of the face and of the mouth (with viral, bacterial, mycotic and parasitic etiology), to tumoral diseases (of epithelial and non-epithelial origin), and to inflammatory and neuropathic diseases (allodynias).
Course contents summary
1) Anatomy, physiology and pathophysiology of the skin and of skin adnexa
2)Special dermatological semiotics: elementary lesions.
3) Viral skin diseases: herpes simplex and varicella-Zoster, HPV infections, molluscum contagiosum, viral exanthema, pityriasis rosea (Gibert).
4) Bacterial skin diseases: impetigo, staphylococcus-related epidermal necrolysis and other toxic syndromes, erysipelas, necrotizing cellulitis, dry and intetriginous pyodermitis , pyodermitis of skin adnexa.
5) Fungal skin diseases: dermatophytosis, mycosis caused by yeasts and by pityrospora.
6) Parasitic skin diseases: scabies, pediculosis, dermatitis caused by hematophagous parasites.
7) Allergic, autoimmune and immuno-mediated skin diseases: contact dermatitis (ICD and ACD), atopic dermatitis, urticaria angioedema, reactions to drugs; lupus erythematosus, scleroderma, dermatomyositis, pemphigus and pemphigoid diseases; polymorphous and nodular erythema, skin vasculitis, vitiligo, alopecia areata.
8) Psoriasis, Lichen planus and scleroatrophic lichen; Seborrheic dermatitis; Acne; Androgenetic alopecia.
10) Skin tumours : precancerosis, basocellular carcinoma, squamocellular carcinoma, melanoma; skin lymphomas; paraneoplastic skin diseases.
11) Local and systemic dermatological therapy: principles of special dermatological pharmacology; characteristics, indications and possible adverse effects of preparations for local application.
12) Physical dermatological therapy: phototherapy, photochemotherapy, laser-therapy, cryotherapy and other physical therapies.
Cainelli T., Giannetti A., Rebora A.: "Manuale di Dermatologia Medica e Chirurgica" (authors:Ed. McGraw-Hill, 2? edizione.
Alessi E., Caputo R.: Dermatologia e Malattie a Trasmissione Sessuale. Raffaello Cortina Editore, Milano 1999.
Classroom lectures, exercises in small groups.
Assessment: Oral examination.