Learning outcomes of the course unit
To bring mechanisms and nature of toxic effects of drugs and xenobiotics to student's knowledge.
Course contents summary
· First principles of toxicity
· Mechanisms and tests of toxicity
· ADME of toxic substance
· Metabolism of xenobiotics
· Cancerogenesis, teratogenesis and mutagenesis
· Experimental toxicology and evaluation of toxicological risks. Poisons and Antidotes.
· Metals, Solvents, Pesticides, IPA, PCOD, PCB
· Enviromental toxicoogy
· Alimentary toxicology
· Occupational toxicology
· Toxicology of biotecnological products
CASARETT & DOULL’S: "Tossicologia: fondamenti dell’azione delle sostanze tossiche", Ed. EMSI,
GOODMAN & GILMAN’S: "The pharmacological basis of therapeutics"
DOLARA: "Tossicologia generale ed ambientale", Ed. Piccin, Padov
ERNEST HODGSON: “Tossicologia Moderna”, EdiSES
W.A. HAYES: "Principles and Methods of Toxicology", III Edition, Raven Press.
C.L. GALLI, E. CORSINI, M. MARINOVICH “Tossicologia”, Piccin
The oral examination will be about the entire program. Students have to show to have a good comprension of principal parts of each topic.