EPIDEMIOLOGICAL MEDICAL STATISTICS
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The course intends to provide students with knowledge of basic tools for collecting and presenting useful data in the clinical and epidemiological field. In particular, the course intends to provided a "work tool" that will allow the student to analyse health phenomena and provide an epidemiological interpretation for the purposes of real primary disease prevention.
Course contents summary
• Introduction to statistics (descriptive and inferential; population and statistical units;
variables and scales of measurement)
• Corporate health files
• The phases of statistical analysis and frequencies
• Graphical representations
• Measures of position
• Measures of dispersion
• Outline of inferential statistics
• Introduction to epidemiology (descriptive and analytical; incidence and prevalence)
• Standardisation rates and methods
• Epidemiological measures of association
• Observational epidemiological studies
• Examples of epidemiological studies
• Experimental epidemiological studies
Statistica - autore S. Geller - Società editrice Masson
Statistica per le professioni sanitarie - autori J Fowler e Al. - Editrice EdiSES
Elementi di metodologia epidemiologica - autore C. Signorelli - Società editrice Universo
oral lectures with the aid of slides, and illustration of explanatory exercises;
oral test and with exercises according to the examination timetable.
Students' obligations: Attendance of at least three quarters of lecture hours.