BASIC CLINICAL NURSING I
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Educational goals: The course intends to provide students with tools and theoretical concepts for describing nursing activities with regard to the prevention of hospital infections
Course contents summary
- Concepts of: infection, hospital infection, infection
acquired during health care.
- Frequency and types of infection found.
- Micro-organisms responsible for hospital infections.
- Consequences to the sick person, of the work team, social consequences.
- Legislative provisions concerning the prevention of hospital infections.
Circ. Min. San. (Italian Ministry of Health Circular) 52/1985 - 8/1988- National Health Plan
- The spectrum of infection.
- Infection indicators.
- Potentially important variables in the study of infections
- Reservoir control measures
- ? transmission control
- control systems: surveillance concept, laboratory data, patient-oriented data.
- universal recommendations
- occupational risk
- hygiene of the hands
- use of gloves and barrier devices
- cleaning, disinfection, antiseptics and disinfectants
- sterilisation systems: heat, compressed steam, ethylene oxide
- guidelines for isolation measures
- guidelines for the prevention of the following infections:
urinary, respiratory, surgical, vascular.
- la prevenzione delle infezioni ospedaliere aa.vv. CAROCCI FABER 2004
- le infezioni ospedaliere. Prevenzione e controllo CENTRO SCIENTIFICO, TORINO 1993
- igiene e disinfezione clinica nelle strutture ospedaliere KAPPADUE, MILANO 2002
- lecture notes provided by the professor
Learning activities: Classroom lecture with the use of audio-visual aids and classroom discussion with students.
Chosen by the student: written exam and oral test according to the examination timetable.