Learning outcomes of the course unit
To provide the bases for the comprehension of the molecular pathogenesis of neoplastic disease and its treatment.
Knowledge of basic biochemistry and cell biology is required
Course contents summary
Biology of tumor growth: bening versus malignant neoplasms
Molecular basis of cancer:
• The normal cell cycle
• Self-sufficiency in growth signals: oncogenes
• Insensitivity to growth inhibitory signals: tumor suppressor genes
• Evasion of apoptosis
• DNA repair defects and genomic instability in cancer cells
• Limitless replicative potential: telomerase
• Development of sustained angiogenesis
• Invasion and metastasis
• Stromal microenvironment and carcinigenesis
Chapter 7 of Robbins and Cotran "Pathologic basis of diseases" is a full comprehensive text. Proper reference to the texts of biochemistry and cell biology used in previous courses is recommended. Lectures will be supported by slides and scientific literature, which will be provided to the students.
Oral lessons (slides and scientific literature will be used during the lessons) .
The tutorials will be provided to the students.
Oral examination (with discussion of scientific literature).