Unit A (5 credits):
1. The development of media in contemporary society
2. Children and the mass media: the end of childhood?
3. Create, design, conduct and assess media education experiences
4. Towards a media education curriculum: theories and examples.
Unit B (5 credits):
5. Media education and video games
6. The media and children’s rights: from protection to promotion
7. Learning through the media: basic psychopedagogical concepts
8. Teaching technology: tools and methods
Course contents summary
The course explores the relation between education and mediality in contemporary culture and society. Three main areas are examined: media education, teaching technologies and protection of children's rights about Internet and Television.
The course is divided into two units, as follows:
Unit A (5 credits): fundamental elements on the development the use of media in contemporary society and on the relations between media and children and media and education in school and extra-school contexts.
Unit B (5 credits): use of teaching technologies and protection of children's rights.
For Unit A, students will present three books at the exam:
• D. FELINI, Pedagogia dei media. Questioni, percorsi e sviluppi, Brescia, La Scuola Editrice, 2004 [except chapter 5].
• D. FELINI – B. WEYLAND, Media education tra organizzazione e fantasia. Esperienze creative in Italia, Austria e Germania, Trento, Erickson, 2007.
One book to be chosen from the following:
• D. BUCKINGHAM, Né con la tv né senza la tv. Bambini, media e cittadinanza nel XXI secolo, Milano, FrancoAngeli, 2004.
• E. MENDUNI, I linguaggi della radio e della televisione, Bari, Laterza, 2006 (nuova edizione).
• G. LUGHI, Cultura dei nuovi media, Milano, Guerini, 2006.
Students will present a further two books:
• C. SCU RATI (a cura di), Tecniche e significati. Linee per una nuova didattica formativa, Milano, Vita e Pensiero, 2000.
One book to be chosen from among the following:
• A. GARAVAGLIA, Ambienti per l'apprendimento in rete: gli spazi dell'e-learning, Bergamo, Junior, 2006.
• M. PARRICCHI, Tecnologie della comunicazione e metodologie eLearning in università, Milano, Vita e Pensiero, 2004.
• R. NARDONE, I nuovi scenari educativi del videogioco, Bergamo, Junior, 2007.