Learning outcomes of the course unit
To make a detailed design a simple mechanical system, such as a lifting device, using CAE tools (electronic worksheet, solid modeling).
Knowledge of technical drawing rules and strength of materials
Course contents summary
The lessons follow a strict order to guide the students to the objective and to correctly relate with the Fondamenti di Progettazione Strutturale Meccanica course, given during the same semester.
Lessons are of two types: i) lectures and, ii) tutorials. Some of the tutorials are made in the laboratory for the implementation of calculations into the worksheet and the creation of the 3D solid model of the assembly and its parts. Each lesson lasts from two to three hours. The project will be developed in groups of max 5 students.
Lesson number and subject
1. Introduction, creation of groups, questionary (type: lecture)
2. Examples of lifting devices (type: lecture)
3. Lifting devices design regulations (type: lecture)
4. Choice of materials/profiles (type: lecture)
5. Free-body diagrams (type: lecture / tutorial)
6. Evaluation of forces (type: tutorial)
7. Implementation into electronic worksheet (type: tutorial (lab))
8. Connections (type: lecture)
9. Implementation into electronic worksheet (type: tutorial (lab))
10. Evaluation of internal forces (type: tutorial)
11. Evaluation of stresses (type: tutorial)
12. mplementation into electronic worksheet (type: tutorial (lab))
13. Project review (type: tutorial)
14. Solid modelling (introduction) (type: tutorial (lab))
15. Solid modelling (parts) (type: tutorial (lab))
16. Solid modelling (assembly) (type: tutorial (lab))
17. Linking solid modelling with electronic worksheet (type: tutorial (lab))
Teacher notes. Further informations can be found in the following books available at the Engineering Faculty bibliotheque.
- R.C. Juvinall, K.M. Marshek: Fondamenti della Progettazione dei Componenti delle Macchine, Edizioni ETS, Pisa, 1993.
Presentation and discussion of the project.