Learning outcomes of the course unit
The main objective of this course is to give the students the cutural tools necessary to apply sensorial methods to the analysis of food items and to obtain accurate and reprucible results.
Course contents summary
- Lectures on sensory analysis:
- Intorduction to sensory analysis. Sensorial attributes of foods.
- Controls for test room, product and panel.
- Factors influencing sensory verdict.
- Errors in Sensory analysis
- Discrimination tests: techniques, panel selection and training, analysis of risults.
- Descriptive tests: techniques, panel selection and training, analysis of risults.
- Consumer science.
- Fundamental flavours recognition.
- Odours recognition.
- Aormatics recognition
- Other senses: temperature, pain, tactile, sound
- Threshold perception for fundamental flavours
- Discrimination tests: paired difference, triangular, duo trio tests.
- Ranking test.
- Tesature Profile Analysis
- Visits to Sensory Analysis Laboratories
- Seminars on Practical Descriptive Sensorial Analysis given by experts on specific food items
- Sensory evaluation of food: principles and practices, H.T. Lawless, H. Heymann, Chapman & Hall, New York, NY, 1998
- Sensory evaluation techniques 3rd edition, Meilgaard, Civile, Carr, CRC Press, 1999
- Valutazione sensoriale: Aspetti teorici, pratici e metodologici, E. Pagliarini, Hoepli, Milano, 2002