Learning outcomes of the course unit
The course addresses the analysis and design of electronics circuits for industrial application, with particular regard to power electronics circuits for static energy conversion.
Analisi ABC, Fisica AB, Elettrotecnica AB, Fondamenti di elettronica ABC.
Course contents summary
- Introduction to power electronics.
- Notices about the main power electron devices.
- Rectifiers and controlled rectifiers, single-phase and three-phase.
- AC/AC converters.
- Dissipative DC/DC regulators.
- Switching DC/DC converters; DC-DC resonant converters; ZCS and ZVS converters.
- Resonant pulse converters; ZCS and ZVS converters.
- Single-phase and three-phase switching inverters and PWM techniques; resonant inverters.
- Switching power supplies.
- UPS; various residential and industrial applications.
- Photovoltaic systems.
M. H. Rashid, Power Electronics: Circuits, Devices, and Applications, 3rd Edition, Prentice-Hall, 2003.
The course includes guided practical CAD exercises by PSPICE for probing in deep the arguments discussed in theory and approaching the key problems of the power circuit’s design.