Learning outcomes of the course unit
The purpose of the course is to examine the basic features of modern-day museums. Starting from the concept of museum and through the analytic approach of Museum Anthropology, the course considers the museum as a cultural product and organisational unit, called upon to mediate between cultural patrimony and communal use.
Course contents summary
The museum: unity and complexity
Identity of the museum.
The museum as a complex institution and its role in contemporary society. Expositional, organisational, disciplinary and social approach.
Exposition and communication
The museum as a place of mediation between cultural patrimony, expositional project and communication methods and policies.
The public, teaching, business
The central role of the public in its various aspects. The teaching role of the museum. Organisational models and input from the public.
The course is supplemented by further study at a number of ethno-anthropological collections in the province of Parma.
- Lecture notes and the following readings:
- A.Lugli, Museologia, Milano Jaca Book, 1992
- R. Schaer, Il Museo. Tempio della memoria, Trieste, Electa, 1996.
- K. Schubert, Museo. Storia di un?idea, Milano, il Saggiatore. 2004
- R. Riccini (a cura di), Imparare dalle cose. La cultura materiale nei musei, Bologna, Clueb, 2003.
- F. Di Valerio, Contesto e identita. Gli oggetti dentro e fuori i musei, Bologna, Clueb, 1999.