ENVIRONMENTAL INFORMATION SYSTEMS
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The purpose of the course is to provide basic knowledge for territorial and environmental analysis, plus knowledge of the basic and advanced functions of commonly used GIS software.
Course contents summary
1. Territorial phenomena
- Alphanumeric data
- cartographic data
3. Territorial Information Systems and GIS
- purposes and differences
- user levels of a GIS and fields of application
4. Geographical Information Systems
- logical models and physical structures of data
- vector and raster data structures
- differences and combined use of data structures
1. Basic functionality of GIS software
2. Advanced functionality of GIS software
3. Exercises regarding the use of GIS in the environmental field
Maria Ioannilli, Ugo M.A. Schiavoni, 'Fondamenti di Sistemi Informativi Geografici', Edition TexMAT
The course will be conducted through classroom lectures in theory and practical exercises, supported by the professor's material and lecture notes. During the course, there will be a possibility of holding seminars relating to specific course topics or case studies.
Passing the exam is subject to the result of a single oral test which includes both theoretical and practical aspects.