Learning outcomes of the course unit
To complement the Ecology Course with a more extended study of evolutionary ecology topics for students of the Ecology oriented curriculum.
The completion of all first year courses and of Ecology (second year).
Course contents summary
Evolutionary forces in action
- Evolution and Ecology
- Darwin's theory of evolution by natural selection
- Calculation of gene frequencies
- Hardy Weinberg equilibrium, selection, drift, migration
- Population effective size
- F statistics
- Continuous and discrete models
- Building a simple population dynamics model
- Parameter estimation and finding equilibria
- Managing populations as resources
- maximum sustainable yield
RIDDLEY M. 2004 - EVOLUTION
HARTL D.L. 1997 - PRINCIPLES OF POPULATION
Lectures, homework assigments.
Mid course and final test (written),