Learning outcomes of the course unit
Basic knowledge of computer science:
- Information representation, the computer, software and networks.
Basic software skills:
- operating systems (Windows e linux)
- popular packages (openoffice)
Course contents summary
1. Information coding: binary logic, logic operators, expressions. Binary and hex representation. Conversions. Integers, characters, images, audio, compression
2. The computer: Von Neumann model. Hardware:CPU, central memory, bus, input/output. Instruction set, machine code and programs. I/O Bus, peripherals, secondary memory.
3. Software: classification and licenses. Operating systems: Linux and Windows history, multitasking and time-sharing, processes, memory management, Input/Output, file-system, user interfaces. Application software.
4. Networking: LAN and WAN; connections, Ethernet, modem. Net protocols, Internet, TCP/IP, router, client-server. Net applications: DNS, DHCP, remote login, e-mail, WWW, file transfer, proxy. Data security, virus, firewall, cryptography, authentication.
5. Programming: software developement: algorythms, programming languages. Data types, variables and constants. Operators, expressions, assignment, i/o, flow control instructions, functions.