Learning outcomes of the course unit
The course provides principles and methods for dimensioning of the more used structural elements, and for their control, of buildings made in reinforced concrete, masonry, steel, timber.
The analyses are carried on to the aim to evaluate resistance, service efficiency, robustness and durability on the basis of Italian recent code and eurocodes.
Much attention are put on problems regards to the choice of structural schematization, action analysis, technology and detailing.
Basic concepts of the courses "Scienza delle Costruzioni" and "Tecnica delle Costruzioni"; to be able in designing of structural elements in reinforced concrete, steel, timber, masonry.
Course contents summary
Types and spatial organization of building structure.
Action on structure. Dead load and service load. Snow, wind, earthquake actions.
Design of reinforced concrete structures: slabs, beams, columns, staircase, cantilever.
Design of masonry structures: in-plane and out-plane bending, shear strength, seismic resistance and P.O.R. method.
Design of steel structures: welding and bolt structural fasteners. Composite structures in steel and concrete.
Design of timber structures: one-way and two-way slabs, design of truss.
Design of foundation structures. Isolated footings and foundation walls. Soil retaining structures.
- Migliacci: “Progetti di strutture”. Masson, Milano.
- G. Ballio, F.M. Mazzolani. “Strutture in acciaio” ISEDI, Mondadori Editore.
- P. Pozzati. “Teoria e tecnica delle strutture”. Voll. 1,2*, 2**. UTET
- R. Calzona, C. Cestelli Guidi. “Il calcolo del C.A.”. Hoepli Editore, Milano
- N. Tubi, “La realizzazione di murature in laterizio”. Edizioni Laterconsult
- G. Giordano. “Tecnica delle costruzioni in legno”. Editore Ulrico Hoepli Milano
The topics of course are experienced through the elaboration of the structural design of a building, object of discussion at the final exam