DRUG RELEASE AND TARGETING
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Release and Targeting of drugs is an advanced course of Pharmaceutical Technology giving the knowledge for the advanced dosage form preparation. Objective of the course is to give to the student the knowledge for designing, developing and manufacturing dosage forms that for their complexity are sometime called “therapeutical system”.
Together with the essential notions of pharmaceutical technology, the base knowledge of biopharmaceutics, pharmacokinetics and mass transport will be given. In addition, the materials, mechanisms and devices adopted in the fundamental operations for drug release and targeting achievement will be treated.
Course contents summary
- Bioavailability and Bioequivalence
- Administration routes of drugs
- Drug delivery control: story, fundamentals and applications
- Solubility, specific surface area and dissolution rate of drugs and drug products
- Mass transport or diffusion: Fick law, thin film diffusion, membrane transport, free diffusion.
- Natural and synthetic polymers: biodegradable, cellulose derivatives, PVA, PVC, PEG, PLA, PLGA...
- Devices for drug release control: reservoir and matrix
- Drug carriers: polymer conjugates, micelles, inclusion compounds; liposomes; micro and nanoparticles; lipidic microspheres; monoclonal antibodies and immunoconjugates
P.Colombo, P.L.Catellani, A.Gazzaniga, E.Menegatti, E.Vidale, Principi di tecnologie farmaceutiche. Editore: Casa Editrice Ambrosiana, 2004