Learning outcomes of the course unit
The Plant Biology course is a unit in the Integrated Course of Animal Biology/Plant Biology. This unit provides knowledge of plant cytology, histology and anatomy. These concepts are necessary for the study of Pharmaceutical Botany and Pharmacognosy
A foundation in General and Inorganic Chemistry, and Physics
Course contents summary
The study of plants
- Plants have a very different approach to life with respect to animals.
- Plants are indispensable for all other living organisms. Plants as synthesizers and sources of secondary metabolites. Plants for medicinal purposes.
- The main divisions of the plant kingdom.
- Evolutionary relationships between the principal groups of living organisms.
The plant cell
- The plastids of a single large family:
Chloroplast: ultrastructure, chemical composition.
Photosynthesis and the factors influencing it.
The hypothesis of the symbiotic origin of plastids
- The cell wall.
Chemical changes to the cell wall
The cell wall as the cell's exterior environment, and a signal transmitter
Pharmaceutical importance of the cell wall
Functions of vacuoles
The secondary metabolic products of plants
Secondary metabolites as chemical messages to the outside world
The pharmaceutical importance of secondary metabolic products
- The growth and development of the plant cell.
- Growth mechanism
- The different growth areas of stem and root
- Stem anatomy
- Root anatomy
- Leaf anatomy
- Mineral elements and their function in plants
- Plant hormones
P.H. RAVEN, RF. EVERT, S.E. EICHHORN: Biologia delle piante, Zanichelli, Bologna.
A. BRUNI, M. NICOLETTI: Biologia Vegetale, for the Faculty of Pharmaceutical Science, Ya Padre, L'Aquila, 1993.
A. SPERANZA, G. L. CALZONI: Struttura delle piante in immagini, Zanichelli, Bologna.
WILLIAM K. PURVES, DAVID SADAVA, GORDON H. ORIANS, H.CRAIG HELLER: La Biologia delle piante, Zanichelli, Bologna.
L. TAIZ, E. ZEIGER: Fisiologia Vegetale, Edizione Piccin, Padua.
MAARTEN J. CHRISPEELS, DAVID E. SADAVA: Biologia Vegetale Applicata, Edizioni Piccin, Padua.
SENATORE F.: Biologia e Botanica Farmaceutica, Edizioni Piccin, Padua.
The examination is in the form of an oral discussion.