Learning outcomes of the course unit
To provide fundamental knowledge and understanding of the nature and mechanisms of adverse and toxic effects of drugs and foreign substances.
Pharmacology and pharmacotherapy
Course contents summary
- Fundamentals of toxicology
- Absorption, distribution and excretion of toxic compounds.
- Biotransformation of xenobiotics
- Genetic toxicology, carcinogenicity, reproductive and developmental toxicology.
- Toxicity testing and risk assessment
- Idiosyncrasy and allergic reactions, xenobiotic interactions.
- Toxicology of pesticides, metals, solvents and vapors, household products, natural toxins.
- Environmental toxicology: air, water and soil pollutants.
- Food toxicology: food additives and contaminants.
- Antidotal therapy
- Toxicology of biotech products
- Occupational toxicology
CASARETT & DOULL’S: “Tossicologia: fondamenti dell’azione delle sostanze tossiche”, Ed. EMSI, Roma.
GOODMAN & GILMAN’S: “The pharmacological basis of therapeutics”DOLARA: “Tossicologia generale ed ambientale”, Ed. Piccin, Padova.