PROPAEDEUTIC ORGANIC CHEMISTRY
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The aim of the course is to furnish the basic concepts and tools of organic chemistry, in order to better face the study of molecular chemistry and reactivity whose topics will be discussed in further courses.
Course contents summary
Electronic structure of atoms
The chemical bond
Drawing organic compounds
Bonding and antibonding orbitals; ibrid orbitals of carbon, oxygen and nitrogen
Conjugate systems and aromaticity
Conformational analysis of linear alkanes and cycloalkanes
Stereochemistry: constitutional isomers; enantiomers; diastereoisomers; meso compounds; optical activity.
Overview and IUPAC nomenclature of then following compound classes: alkanes, alkenes, alkynes, alkyl halides, alcohols, ethers, aldehydes, ketones, carboxylic acids and derivatives, amines
Organic compounds as acids and bases
Intermolecular interactions and solvent classification.
- J. GORZYNSKI SMITH, "Chimica Organica", McGraw-Hill, 2006.
- W.H. BROWN, C.S. FOOTE, B.L. IVERSON, "Chimica Organica", EdiSES, III Edizione.
- J. McMURRY, "Chimica Organica", Piccin Ed., VI Edizione.
- S. EGE, "Chimica Organica – Struttura e Reattività", Idelson-Gnocchi Ed., II Edizione Italiana.
- G. H. SCHMID, "Chimica Organica", Casa Editrice Ambrosiana, Milano.
The course is carried out through oral lessons.
The final examination consists of a written test about the topics discussed in the course.