Learning outcomes of the course unit
The aim of the course is to furnish the fundamental concepts and tools of organic chemistry, with a particular emphasis on the structure-activity relationship of the main organic compounds, in order to better face the study of biochemistry and medicinal chemistry.
The examinations of "General and Inorganic Chemistry" and "Propaedeutic Organic Chemistry" must be passed before that of "Organic Chemistry"
Course contents summary
- General Aspects. Functional groups of the main organic compounds. Thermodynamic and kinetic control of organic reactions. Reaction kinetics, activation energy, catalysis. Reaction mechanisms. Radical and ionic reactions. Nucleophilic and electrophilic species. Monomolecular and bimolecular nucleophilic substitutions at saturated carbons. Monomolecular and bimolecular elimination reactions. Organometallic reagents, Grignard reagents. Electrophilic additions to alkenes. Regioselective, stereospecific, and stereoselective organic reactions. Nucleophilic addition to carbon-oxygen double bond. Acyl nucleophilic substitution. Carbon-carbon bond-forming reactions. Reactions of enolizable compounds.
- Aliphatic domain. Reactivity and synthesis of the following compound classes: alkanes, cycloalkanes, alkyl halides, alkenes, alkynes, alcohols, diols, ethers, epoxides, aldehydes, ketones, carboxylic acids, acyl halides, anhydrides, esters, lactones, amides, lactams., imides, nitriles, 1,3-dicarbonyl compounds, alpha,beta-unsaturated compounds, amines.
- Aromatic and heteroaromatic domain. Structure, reactivity, and synthesis of the following compound classes: benzene, substituted benzenes and, in particular, phenols, aryl halides, and aromatic amines. Structure and reactivity of the main heteroaromatic systems.
- J. GORZYNSKI SMITH, "Chimica Organica", McGraw-Hill
- W.H. BROWN, C.S. FOOTE, B.L. IVERSON, "Chimica Organica", EdiSES, III Edizione.
- J. McMURRY, "Chimica Organica", Piccin Ed., VI Edizione.
- S. EGE, "Chimica Organica – Struttura e Reattività", Idelson-Gnocchi Ed., II Edizione Italiana.
- G. H. SCHMID, "Chimica Organica", Casa Editrice Ambrosiana, Milano
The course is carried out through oral lessons
The final exam consists of a written test, dealing with the resolution of simple problems on organic chemistry, and an oral colloquium