TECHNOLOGY OF GRAINS AND DERIVATIVES
Learning outcomes of the course unit
To prepare the students with good technical knowledge in the bakery field, just to be easily inserted in the work¿s world
Formally not request, but it is press a knowledge of English language, basic of statistic and the principal software for personal computer.
Course contents summary
- Technology of cereals
- Protein quality and their chemical-physical properties
- Cereal carbohydrates: characteristics of starch and of its by-products
- Rheological test for quality determination of flours
- Wheat flour milling
- Technology of baker products
- Mixing and mixing-machines
- Fermentation and yeast
- Cooking and ovens, cooling and conditioning
- Shelf life
- Ingredients functions (flour, eggs, milk, sugar, fat, etc.)
- Filling and decorations
- Bakery products
- Bread, rusks, breadsteaks, pizza
- Biscuits, crackers, wafers and snack
- Industrial sweet product (yeast leavened product, sponge cakes, frozen cakes
- Other cereals and barley derivatives
- Packaging of bakery products
- Technical aspect of legislation
- Development of products: creativity, research organization, the future of research.
- N.L. Kent e A.D. Evers, Technology of Cereals, London, 1994
- E.S. Posner e A.N. Hibbs, Wheat Flour Milling, St. Paul, 1997
- J.M. Blanshard, P.J.Frazier e T. Galliard - Chemistry and Physic of Baking , London, 1988
- H. Faridi, The Science of Cookie and Cracker Production, New York, 1993
- J. Krugeree al., Pasta and Noodle technology, St. Paul, 1994
- J. McKenzie e A. Reynolds, Innovation Success in the Food and Drink Industry, London, 1997
Lectures with all slides in a CD, given at every student. The student can ask anytime question by e-mail.
- Internet and other databases (FSTA, New product, Patents)
- Physical and chemical analysis of bakery products
- Bread preparation
- Fresh pasta preparation and pasteurization
The course will be completed with visits at some production plants.
The final evaluation will be through a Power Point presentation of an industrial production of bakery product, with an oral final exam.