Learning outcomes of the course unit
This module is designed to give students an understanding of the basic physiological concepts underlying animal behavior, as well as the different factors affecting animal welfare.
Course contents summary
Regulation of emotional and behavioral patterns by the hypothalamus and the lymbic system. Biological rhythms. Motivation and learning. Classic conditioning. Trial and error learning: reward and punishment. Social behavior and hierarchy. Territorial behavior and marking. Pheromones. Stress and distress in domestic animals. Fight or flight reaction. Welfare in farm animals.
· Aguggini G., Beghelli V., Giulio L.F. “ Fisiologia degli animali domestici con elementi di etologia”, UTET, Torino;
· Swenson M.J., Reece W.O. “Duke’s Fisiologia degli animali domestici”, Idelson-Gnocchi, Napoli;
· Sjaastad O.V., Hove K., Sand O. “Physiology of domestic animals”, Scandinavian Veterinary Press;
· Cunningham J.G. “Textbook of Veterinary Physiology”, Blackwell Science, Germany;
· Guyton A.C. “Trattato di fisiologia medica”, Piccin, Padova.