DIET AND FEED TECHNOLOGY
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Students are expected to acquire knowledge in order to be able to make chemical and biological evaluations of animal feedstuffs. They are also required to master the organisational and management aspects of feed mills and acquire the techniques for correct diet formulation. Students are expected to understand the factors that condition the digestibility and use of foods and to be familiar with the various additives and feed integrators according to necessity and use criteria. They are also expected to acquire concepts regarding food rationing and the nutritional requirements for the various domestic species in relation to the various productive and reproductive stages. Students must have in-depth knowledge of the legislation which regulates the preparation and sale of all nutritional substances for domestic animals.
Students are required to have passed the examinations in Botany, Biochemistry and Physiology.
Course contents summary
Chemical and biological evaluation of animal feedstuffs. Digestibility and use of foods. Additives and feed integrators according to necessity and use criteria. Concepts regarding food rationing and the nutritional requirements of various domestic species in relation to various productive and reproductive stages. Industrial production of foods for animals. Legislation governing the preparation and sale of simple, complete and complementary feedstuffs as well as all nutritional substances for domestic animals.
ASSALZOO: La disciplina della preparazione e del commercio del mangime, III Ed., S.E.P.Z., Roma, 1978.
- BLAXTER K. L.: The energy metabolism of ruminants, Hutchinson, London, 1962.
- I.N.R.A.: Alimentation des ruminants, Edizioni I.N.R.A., Versailles, 1978.
- NATIONAL RESEARCH COUNCIL (NRC): Nutrient requirement of domestic animals: n. 1 Poultry (1994), n. 2 Pigs (1998), n. 3 Dairy CattIe (2001), n. 4 Beef Cattle (2000), n. 3 Sheep (1968), n. 6 Horses (1966), n. 9 Rabbits (1966), Nat. Acad. Sci., Washington. D.C.
- SUCCI G.: 'ZOOTECNICA SPECIALE' Ed. Cittàstudi Edizioni 1995.
- AGHINA C. e MALETTO S.'Tecnica Mangimistica' Soc. Ed. Esculapio
- CASE L.P., CAREY D.P., HIRAKAWA D.A.: 'L'alimentazione del cane e del gatto'. Mosby-Year Book, Inc. (1997) Edizione riservata IAMS.
- WOLTER R.: 'L'alimentazione del cane e del gatto'. Editrice Essegivi - Piacenza (1983)
- FERRANDO R.: 'Alimentation du chien'. Edition Vigot Frères. Paris (1973).
The theoretical part of the course will be taught in the classroom while the practical part will take place on breeding farms and at animal feed companies.