ECOSYSTEM DIDACTICS (PREFIT - AREA D)
The course aims to provide the scientific basis that results from the evolution of the ecological thinking and research in environmental sciences, as a prerequisite for training of teachers that will transmit knowledge on the use and conservation of natural resources and management of altered environmental processes.
At the end of the course the student is expected to be able of:
- knowing the structure and functioning of both natural and anthropized ecosystems
- analyzing fundamental topics of general ecology
- aquiring tools to make informed decisions and plan actions aimed at protecting the environment and the correct management of natural resources
- applying the acquired knowledge to the development of teaching modules
- guiding pupils in the analysis and assessment of environmental problems of different complexity with methodological rigor.
The attendance of the course will benefit from the knowledge of basic ecology concepts, theories and investigation methods.
Based on scientific findings in the ecological and environmental fields, the course deals with educational paths and educational activities on subjects of great relevance (environmental sustainability, biodiversity protection, climate change effects, human impacts, ecological and environmental requalification, etc.), which have important consequences on the evolution of ecosystems and on everyday life.
The course adopts a "blended" modality, with an integrated use of different educational formats. In particular, the introductory and final part of the course (about 20% of the total) consist of lectures and discussion of case studies, while teaching units (about 80% of the total) are provided in e-learning mode or as lectures using the Teams platform. The teaching units are listed below:
Knowledge transfer through e-learning teaching units
- the soil resource
- Ecosystems and economy
- Lentic ecosystems
- The economic evaluation of ecosystem services
- Ecosystems with marked anthropogenic impacts.
- The water resources
- Introduction to the study of ecosystems
- Stream ecology
- Indices and indicators
Smith T.M., R.L. Smith. 2017. Elementi di Ecologia. 9^ edizione. Pearson Italia. Mondadori.
Galassi S., I. Ferrari, P. Viaroli. 2014. Introduzione all'ecologia applicata. Dalla teoria alla pratica della sostenibilità. CittàStudi, 270 pp.
Quaderni Habitat Ministero dell’Ambiente
Millennium Ecosystem Assessment
Most of the course is provided in e-learning mode. The part in attendance mainly concerns practical activities on the development of teaching modules, analysis of case studies, etc. The teaching could include seminar activities held by the academic staff and experts.
The exam is organised in an oral test and the design of a teaching unit on a subject concening aquatic ecosystems, suggested by the teacher.
The oral test consists of questions on topics covered during the course.