HYGIENE, ORGANIZATION AND HEALTH PROGRAMMING
Learning outcomes of the course unit
To provide students with knowledge on the general principles of hygiene and public health, with particular reference to physical activity and sports. To acquire an independent learning methodology. To acquire an autonomy of judgments on the topics dealt with and specific communication skills in relations with specialists and non-specialists.
No prerequisites are required.
Course contents summary
The Course deals with the main aspects of Hygiene and Public Health, with particular reference to the application in physical activity.
General concepts of Hygiene, Health, Public Health.
Epidemiology and prevention of infectious diseases.
Epidemiology and prevention of chronic degenerative diseases.
Health education and health promotion.
The National Healthcare Service.
The main aspects of the organization of sporting activities and the main sporting events are also dealt with.
GENERAL CONCEPTS OF HYGIENE AND PUBLIC HEALTH
• Definition of health
• Primary, secondary, tertiary and quaternary prevention.
• Health organization in Italy: the National Health Service at central, regional and local levels.
• Health education and health promotion
2. EPIDEMIOLOGICAL METHODOLOGY
• Definition of epidemiology and its applications
• Sources of epidemiological data
• Descriptive epidemiological measures.
Epidemiological measures of risk.
• Main types of epidemiological study (descriptive, transversal, case-control, cohort and experimental)
3. EPIDEMIOLOGY AND GENERAL PROPHYTASES OF INFECTIOUS AND CHRONIC-DEGENERATIVE DISEASES
• Host-parasite relationships, sources and reservoirs of infection, epidemiological chain of infectious diseases
• Notification, diagnostic assessment,
• Cleaning, disinfection, sterilization, disinfestation
• Vaccination, passive immunoprofilaxis and chemoprophylaxis
• Epidemiology and prevention of cardiovascular diseases
• Epidemiology and prevention of tumors
• Modifiable and non-modifiable risk factors
• Screening tests
4. HYGIENE APPLIED TO SPORTS ACTIVITIES
• Epidemiological data on physical activity in Italy
The role of physical activity in the prevention of diseases
• Nutrition hygiene: food requirements and diseases associated to non correct nutrition
• Specific risks in sports
Vaccination in athletes
• Problems of hygiene and safety of sports facilities. Psycho-physical well-being in confined environments
• Major risk factors for sports injuries and their prevention
• Hygienic-sanitary problems of swimming pools
• Health information and education in sports.
• Role of motor and sports activities for the promotion of psycho-physical wellbeing
• Epidemiology and prevention of doping.
ORGANIZATION OF SPORTS ACTIVITIES
The modern Olympic Games and the other forms of international sports competitions.
The International Olympic Committee (IOC).
The Italian National Olympic Committee (CONI).
Sports promotion bodies and sports clubs.
The main laws on sport and physical activity and the regional laws on sport.
The principle of horizontal and vertical subsidiarity and its applications in sports associations.
The concept of Project Financing, and its applications in the construction and management of sports facilities.
The construction of a sports facility.
Signorelli C. Igiene e Sanità Pubblica. Società Editrice Universo, Roma, 2021.
- Pasquarella, E. Saccani, F. Torreggiani C, Signorelli. Sport e Salute. Aspetti organizzativi e igienico-sanitari delle attività motorie. S.Croce, Parma, 2012
- Brandi G, Liguori G, Romano Spica V. Igiene e Sanità Pubblica per Scienze Motorie. Antonio Delfino Editore, 2009.
Didactic material available on Elly platform.
Lectures will be held on-site in compliance with safety standards, provided that further instructions on the ongoing health emergency are not implemented. Supporting material will be available on the specific, student-reserved platform (Elly).
Assessment methods and criteria
Written exam consisting of 31 multiple choice quizzes, aimed at evaluating knowledge, skills and abilities acquired during the course.