The student will acquire basic knowledge to approach the design of a flexible pavement, from the definition of the road geometry, to the optimization of the mixture according to the layer function, to the calculation of the thickness of the entire structure.
This knowledge is fundamental to operate and deal with public institutions and operating companies in the field of design and maintenance of road infrastructure.
There are no mandatory propaedeuticities
Course contents summary
Fundamentals of road geometry: planimetry, transition curves, vertical development
Fundamentals of flexible pavement mix design: design of stabilized soil mixes for road embankments, design of asphalt mixtures.
Fundamentals of flexible pavement design: analysis of stress-strain conditions, road layers calculation methods.
The program is divided into 3 teaching modules:
Teaching Module 1: Fundamentals of Road Geometry.
- Planimetric geometry: design speed, planimetric axis, curvature radius
- Transition curves: clotoid, rotation of the road platform, curve enlargement
- Altimetrical development: levels, vertical connections, planimetric and altimetrical coordination
Teaching module 2: Fundamentals of mix design for flexible pavements:
- Embankment soils: stabilization and mix design
- Asphalt mixtures: classification, mix design, volumetric analysis and performance tests
- Materials for specific applications: modified asphalts, asphalt emulsions, foamed bitumen
Teaching module 3: Fundamentals of flexible road superstructure design:
- Stress-strain analysis of flexible pavements
- Analysis of design traffic
- The most used methods for pavement design calculations
All the material used during the lectures (presentations, exercises, Excel sheets) is made available to students on the Elly teaching platform and is adequate to pass the exam.
Handouts will also be provided for further details.
Texts for in-depth study:
Ferrari, Giannini “Ingegneria stradale. Geometria e progetto di strade (Vol. 1)” Edizione: Isedi
Ferrari, Giannini “Ingegneria stradale. Corpo stradale e pavimentazioni (Vol.2)” Edizione: Isedi
The course is divided into frontal theoretical lectures, practical exercises carried out by the lecturer and practical exercises assigned to students to be held in the class and in the laboratory of "material and structure tests".
Assessment methods and criteria
The examination consists of the completion of an individual project combined with an oral exam.