The aim of the course is to illustrate the basic methods of recombinant technologies and their applications in plants and animals.
Course contents summary
Cloning in plants
Cloning vectors for plant organisms – Transformation methods for plant organisms - Obtainment of transgenic plants
Cloning in animal cells and applications in health sector
Growth and properties of animal cells in culture - Selection systems for animal cells - Gene transfer into animal cells - Plasmid vectors for animal cells, amplicons and expression vectors - The fate of transferred DNA - Viral vectors and retroviral vectors for animal cells. Gene therapy: principles and methods - Experimental models – Some experimental results - Potential human models
- Gene Cloning and DNA Analysis: An Introduction, 7th Edition. Terry A. Brown. Zanichelli
- La scienza del DNA. Corso introduttivo sulle tecnologie del DNA ricombinante con esercitazioni di laboratorio. D.A. Milkos e G.A. Freyer. Piccin
- Ingegneria genetica. Principi e tecniche. S. Primrose et al. Zanichelli
- Ingegneria genetica. S.M. Kingsman, A.J. Kingsman. Piccin
- Molecular biotechnology: principles and applications of recombinant DNA. Bernard R. Glick
- Genetica generale e umana (volume secondo). L. De Carli, E. Boncinelli, G.A. Danieli, L. Larizza. Piccin
The theoretical classes are integrated with seminars and practical training in laboratory.
Assessment methods and criteria
The oral examination verifies the knowledge acquired by the student and the communication skills. The written exam and the laboratory report verifies knowledge and application of knowledge. In all cases, the learning ability is verified.